Recipe by fluffernutter
Had this at a Chinese place and it was great! Tofu skin has a chicken-y texture and takes on the flavor of the sauce. Meatless and marvelous and vegan.
- 4 pieces dried tofu
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups bok choy or 2 cups other chinese greens
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup toasted unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon hot bean paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the tofu sticks in water for 2 hours; drain. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat the peanut oil over medium-high heat and saute the garlic then bok choy until tender. Add the mushrooms and saute until hot. Toss in cashews.
- In a small bowl, stir together the bean paste, broth, sugar, cornstarch and sesame oil. Pour into the skillet and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens.
- Serve over rice, rice noodles, chow mein noodles, or wrapped in rice paper sheets like a burrito.