Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Lovely way to use the less tender cuts of steak, add more heat if you wish. Very nice served on top of an opened baked potato.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean round steak, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup canned tomato (with juice)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Coat strips of meat with flour mixed with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large frypan, brown meat on all sides.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add broth, tomato juice, (reserve the tomato pieces for later), onion and garlic to the meat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender
- Add tomato pieces, red pepper strips, jalepino and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir and cook 4 to 5 minutes longer.