1/2 Photos of Braised Spinach and Onion (With Variations)
Abby Girl's Note:
This recipe has a number of variations. You can use spinach, onions, leeks, swiss chard, beet greens, bok choy or a combination of any or all. I tend to cut the butter down slightly. This is quite rich, so a little goes a long way. This dish could be served warm or at room temperature. This can be made 1 day ahead of time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large saucepan, combine onions and chicken broth. Cook onion until stock has reduced to 1/4 cup, about 7 - 9 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove onions from heat. Set aside.
- 2In a large skillet spray with Pam. With some water still clinging to the spinach, add to skillet and cook until just wilted. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Squeeze out excess liquid and chop.
- 3Melt butter over low heat or in microwave. Add butter, spinach to the braised onions and combine. Salt, pepper to suit taste. Place in casserole dish.
- 4Bake in preheated 350 oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- 5Note: If using beet greens or swiss chard, use caution with pepper.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Spinach and Onion (With Variations)
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.8
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.6 mg
- Sodium 228.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 6.7 g