This one came from the New York Times, January 17th, 1999. I'm not sure what unit a "bunch" is, but hey, try for a couple or three in a bunch. You can use chicken stock instead of the vegetable stock.
- Scrub beets and cut stems down to hardly there. Place in cooking pot, cover with water, and simmer until nearly tender (approximately 20 minutes). Remove from water, peel and quarter them.
- Heat butter in sturdy saucepan or skillet with lid. When melted, add beets and cook at medium for five minutes, tossing frequently so as to coat the beets with the butter.
- Add peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon.
- Add in sugar, stock, and salt to taste.
- Cook on low heat for approximately 15 more minutes, or until beets are tender, mixing occasionally.
- You can serve now, or reheat for later.