Recipe by Chef Shadows
Braised Beef tips in a dark brown sauce. I first had this in 1968 on a prom date in Olney, MD at the Olney Inn. I searched for the recipe for years... this is it! SOURCE SOUTHERN LIVING- DINNER AND SUPPER COOKBOOK with modifications by Shadows
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 slice bacon, cut into small pieces
- 3 lbs sirloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup beef bouillon
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 large onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup beef bouillon
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute` mushrooms and bacon* pieces in butter until lightly browned; spoon into a casserole.
- Add remaining butter and olive oil to skillet; add meat, and brown on all sides.
- Spoon over mushrooms.
- Combine bouillon, wine, soy sauce, garlic and onion; add to skillet, scraping bottom to salvage all particles.
- Blend cornstarch with bouillon; stir into wine mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Spoon over the meat, stirring gently to mix.
- Cover and bake at 275o F for 1 hour. Add mushroom soup, stirring until smooth.
- Add salt to taste.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Serve over cooked rice.
- *Original recipe did not contain bacon.