Recipe by Miss Annie
A wonderful way to cook the less tender cuts of beef. Braising makes the meat very tender. We love to make this dish because it is very tasty.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs sirloin steaks or 2 lbs round steaks, slice into 3 inch x 1 inch strips
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, dissolved in water and reserved mushroom juice to equal 10 ounces
- 1⁄3 cup red wine or 1⁄3 cup cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can mushrooms, reserve juice
- 1 can water chestnut, sliced,drained
- 1 package frozen Chinese pea pods
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 4 cups hot cooked rice or 4 cups noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef in hot oil.
- Mix together and add bouillon, wine, garlic, onion, soy sauce and mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Add water chestnuts and pea pods.
- Blend cornstarch and water; stir in gradually to meat mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Serve immediately over rice or noodles.
- You may leave out the soy sauce, pea pods and water chestnuts, and add 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce instead.