- 2 lbs beef sirloin tip, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1⁄3 cup red Burgundy wine or 1⁄3 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Be sure all visible fat is trimmed off the meat.
- Brown on all sides in a large heavy skillet.
- Add consomme, wine (or cranberry cocktail), soy sauce, garlic and onion powder.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour, or until meat is tender.
- Blend cornstarch and water and stir gradually into the stew.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and boils.
- Cook 1 minute more.
- Serve over rice.