Recipe by KelBel
A complete meal in one pot. Although it looks complicated, it is quite simple. Meat and vegetables are tender and delicious. Serve with salad and hearty bread.
Top Review by MarraMamba
These are to die for. I don't even like lots of root veggies but this whole dish works wonderfully. Juicy tender short ribs in a sauce to please any palate. I also add a bottle of chili sauce but it isn't necessary
- 4 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups port wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Season ribs with rosemary. salt and pepper by rubbing them into the meat of the ribs. Lightly coat each side of ribs with flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat olive oil in a large deep ovenproof skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the ribs and cook about 2 minutes on all sides. Transfer the ribs to a plate.
- Add shallots, carrots, and parsnips to the same skillet and cook about 5 minutes until tender and brown.
- With the vegetables still in the pan, deglaze the skillet by adding the port and cooking over medium high heat 10 to 12 minutes until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the broth and tomato paste and stir to mix thoroughly. Remove from heat.
- Return the ribs to the skillet, cover and cook in the oven for 2 1/2 hours, until the meat is fork tender and falling off the bone. Turn ribs several times during the cooking process.
- Transfer the ribs and vegetables to a plate. Place the skillet over medium high heat and boil to reduce the liquid by about two thirds. The liquid will become thick.
- Spoon liquid over meat and vegetables.