Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook4 hrs 30 mins
Although this may seem like a lengthy process, all of the work is done in advance. The end result is delicious comfort food. I serve garlic mashed potatoes and whatever vege is fresh at the time.
- Preheat oven to 500^F.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Generously season ribs and arrange in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Roast until brown, about 25 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 325^F.
- Place ribs in a large heavy oven-proof pot.
- Add tomatoes with juice, and next 8 ingredients.
- Add wine and enough water to cover.
- Tightly cover pot and cook in oven until meat is very tender, about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove any fat from surface and transfer ribs to a 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Strain liquid and return ot pot.
- Boil until liquid has reduced to 1 cup, skimming any foam that appears, about 50 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 325^F.
- Pour sauce over ribs.
- Cover pan with foil and bake until ribs are heated through, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer ribs to a serving platter and spoon sauce over.
This is very much like a recipe of mine. (One I am known for). The only difference is that I start by panfrying the shortribs rather than baking them,;I don't use the tomatoes; and I often cook these longer or even overnight, though overnight is really too long. These things probably don't make much difference. The one thing that I do that I think really adds to the dish is putting in about a cup of those dried sweetened cranberries. It makes the beef broth really special.
I have made this several times now and enjoyed it very much. Only difference is using oregano and also the last couple of times used only half to three quarters of the wine, and just enough water to cover, adding when necessary. I recommend this recipe to everyone also used Bone in ribs....or bone in short rib roasts.
Wow, this was amazing! So easy to make and so good to eat. I had it for 2 days in a row, then used the left over meat in taco's the third night with home made salsa. I followed the recipe word for word and woulden't change a thing! What a warm home cooking kind of meal and made the house smell great while cooking. Thank you for sharing!