Recipe by Normaone
Although this may seem like a lengthy process, all of the work is done in advance. The end result is delicious comfort food. I serve garlic mashed potatoes and whatever vege is fresh at the time.
Top Review by kristina25
This is very much like a recipe of mine. (One I am known for). The only difference is that I start by panfrying the shortribs rather than baking them,;I don't use the tomatoes; and I often cook these longer or even overnight, though overnight is really too long. These things probably don't make much difference. The one thing that I do that I think really adds to the dish is putting in about a cup of those dried sweetened cranberries. It makes the beef broth really special.
- 3 lbs boneless short ribs
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, whole
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine
- 4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500^F.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Generously season ribs and arrange in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Roast until brown, about 25 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 325^F.
- Place ribs in a large heavy oven-proof pot.
- Add tomatoes with juice, and next 8 ingredients.
- Add wine and enough water to cover.
- Tightly cover pot and cook in oven until meat is very tender, about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove any fat from surface and transfer ribs to a 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Strain liquid and return ot pot.
- Boil until liquid has reduced to 1 cup, skimming any foam that appears, about 50 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 325^F.
- Pour sauce over ribs.
- Cover pan with foil and bake until ribs are heated through, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer ribs to a serving platter and spoon sauce over.