Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Featured on CBC Radio's morning show THE GREAT NORTHWEST, from Thunder Bay Ontario, this great recipe comes from the Chef at that city's CARIBOU RESTAURANT.
- 2 lbs meaty beef short ribs
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chianti wine or 1 cup any red wine
- 1⁄2 cup additional yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon additional garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chile
- 1 cup additional crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons additional olive oil
- pasta (the CARIBOU RESTAURANT chef recommended using Bucatini)
- grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil
- You will need a heavy-bottomed pot that can go into your oven for this recipe.
- Cooking starts on the stovetop, moves to the oven, then returns to the top-of-the-stove.
- As well, it can be prepared over 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- On top of stove, get pot"hot" and add oil.
- Coat ribs in flour, shaking off excess.
- Sprinkle with oregano.
- Brown ribs one-at-a-time, browning them on all sides.
- Remove last ribs and lower stove-top temp.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Add wine.
- Deglaze the pot by scrapping all the brown bits from the bottom Return the ribs to the pot and add the can of tomatoes.
- (The ribs should be almost covered, but if not, add some water.) Bring the pot to a simmer and cover with lid or foil.
- Place pot in 400*F oven for 1 hour.
- Reduce oven heat to 300*F and cook ribs for an additional 2 hours.
- (All the above can be done the day ahead. Should you go the 2-day route, re-warm the sauce and ribs just enough to pull the meat off the bones.) Shred the meat discarding the bones.
- Return meat to the sauce and reheat fully.
- TO ASSEMBLE: On the stove-top over medium heat (and in another large pot), toss the cherry tomatoes.
- Cook tomatoes until soft.
- Add the last group of onions, garlic and chilis and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rib-meat and sauce and top it off with the last cup of tomatoes.
- Cook, uncovered, for another 10 minutes.
- Cook your pasta.
- (The Chef of the CARIBOU RESTAURANT recommends using a pasta like BUCATINI- a thicker one you can easily eat with just a fork.) Drain the pasta and put into a warm bowl.
- Scoop meat and sauce over the pasta and toss.
- Top with fresh basil and grated cheese.