7 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 50 mins
5 hrs 30 mins
Chandra M's Note:
Time consuming, but the meat is so juicy and tender it falls from the bone. This can be made up to 3 days in advance. One of my favorites for a nice dinner party. Adapted from Cooks illustrated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs bone in english style beef short ribs, trimmed of excess fat & silver skin (from the chuck portion if possible as they are meatier)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups red wine
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 6 ounces thick cut bacon (6 slices)
- 8 ounces frozen pearl onions (do not thaw)
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled & cut diagonally in 3/4-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon evaporated cane juice (sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Arrange short ribs in a large roasting pan bone side down in a single layer.
- 2Sprinkle with sea salt & black pepper. Roast on a lower oven rack at 450F for 35 minutes.
- 3Drain all liquid/fat (turkey baster works well).
- 4Continue to roast another 25 minutes or until well browned.
- 5Transfer ribs to a plate and drain pan liquids into a small bowl and reserve.
- 6Reduce oven to 300°F.
- 7Simmer the wine in the roasting pan on the stovetop over 2 burners, scraping the bottom with a wood spoon to loosen the roasted on bits, simmer 5 minutes.
- 8In a large dutch oven over medium high heat, heat 3 tbsp of the reserved fat.
- 9Add onions, carrots, and celery; saute 10-12 minutes until vegetables soften.
- 10Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- 11Add flour and stir to combine, cook about 1 minute.
- 12Add the wine from the roasting pan, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, herbs, and tomato paste.
- 13Season to taste with sea salt & black pepper.
- 14Bring to a boil, add short ribs (completely submerge them), return to boil.
- 15Transfer to oven, bake covered for 2 1/2 hours.
- 16Remove from oven and cool with the lid cracked for about 2 hours.
- 17Transfer the ribs, minus loose bones & vegetables, to a plate or tupperware.
- 18Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 19Strain the braising liquid into a medium bowl, pressing out the liquid from the solids.
- 20Discard the solids, cover and refrigerate the liquid (separate from the ribs).
- 21This can be refrigerated up to 3 days in advance.
- 2245 minutes prior to serving: Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat; cook bacon until just crisp; transfer to papertowel lined plate.
- 23Add the pearl onions, parsnips, sugar and 1/4 tsp salt to the bacon grease and saute on high for 5 minutes or until browned.
- 24Remove the ribs and braising liquid from the refrigerator.
- 25Skim the solidified fat off the top of the liquid and discard.
- 26Add the liquid to the pearl onions and bring to a simmer.
- 27Season with sea salt & black pepper to taste.
- 28Add ribs to liquid and push below surface.
- 29Return to simmer over medium and cook with the lid cracked about 5 minutes until ribs are heated through and parsnips are tender.
- 30Stir in the bacon.
- 31Serve sprinkled with parsley.
- 32Note: If you are making this the same day as you plan to serve it, skip cooling the ribs in the braising liquid. Instead take them out straight from the oven, strain the vegetables out of the liquid and let it settle so you can spoon off the fat that rises to the top.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Short Ribs With Parsnips & Pearl Onions
Serving Size: 1 (926 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2101.0
- Calories from Fat 1605
- Total Fat 178.3 g
- Saturated Fat 76.1 g
- Cholesterol 364.0 mg
- Sodium 652.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 74.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
diced fire-roasted tomatoes
evaporated cane juice