3 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
In 'Winter Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 5 lbs short ribs, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 medium carrots (1 finely chopped and 2 cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 small celery rib, with leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped shallot
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles dark beer
- 2 cups beer stock
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 large red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1Position a rack in center of oven; preheat to 300°.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a very large Dutch oven over med-high heat.
- 3Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- 4In batches, add the short ribs to the Dutch oven and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 5Transfer to a platter.
- 6Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the Dutch oven.
- 7Add the finely chopped carrot and celery, and decrease heat to medium.
- 8Cook, stirring up the browned bits in the Dutch oven with a wooden spatula, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 9Add the shallots and cook until they soften, about 2 minutes.
- 10Add the butter and melt.
- 11Sprinkle the flour and let bubble for 1 minute.
- 12Whisk in the beer, then the stock, brown sugar, mustard, tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaf.
- 13Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 14Return the short ribs to the Dutch oven, meaty sides down.
- 15Cover and bake for 2 hours.
- 16Remove from the oven and stir in the parsnips, potatoes, and remaining carrots.
- 17Return to the oven and continue baking until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes longer.
- 18Skim off any fat on the surface, and serve hot, garnished with parsley.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Short Ribs With Dark Beer and Root Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.7
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 40.7 mg
- Sodium 880.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: