Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
In 'Winter Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 5 lbs short ribs, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 medium carrots (1 finely chopped and 2 cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 small celery rib, with leaves finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped shallot
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles dark beer
- 2 cups beer stock
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 large red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Position a rack in center of oven; preheat to 300°.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a very large Dutch oven over med-high heat.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- In batches, add the short ribs to the Dutch oven and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the Dutch oven.
- Add the finely chopped carrot and celery, and decrease heat to medium.
- Cook, stirring up the browned bits in the Dutch oven with a wooden spatula, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the shallots and cook until they soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add the butter and melt.
- Sprinkle the flour and let bubble for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the beer, then the stock, brown sugar, mustard, tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Return the short ribs to the Dutch oven, meaty sides down.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the parsnips, potatoes, and remaining carrots.
- Return to the oven and continue baking until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes longer.
- Skim off any fat on the surface, and serve hot, garnished with parsley.