Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Long, slow cooking makes for a luscious and tender meat. If you're a fan of baked onions, add a couple of whole peeled onions to the pan and bake. A delicious comfort food from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper, dredge with flour and sear on all sides in drippings.
- Cube or slice vegetables (except potatoes), and place around meat in a roasting pan; add water, cover tightly and simmer 3 to 4 hours in the oven at 300°F.
- Cut potatoes in half and place around meat; bake, uncovered in oven at 350F for 45 minutes or until meat and potatoes are well browned.
- Remove to hot platter and keep hot while making gravy.
- Thicken liquid in pan with flour mixed to a smooth paste with a little water.
- Add more water if necessary and bring to a boil.