Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I found this recipe online and thought I'd put it on Zaar for safe keeping. I haven't tried this yet but it sounds YUMMY.
- 3 lbs lean beef short ribs (up to 4 lbs)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 medium onions, sliced (separated into rings)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 cup beer or 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional)
- 3 tablespoons water (optional)
- Place short ribs on broiler rack or in skillet and brown to remove fat; drain well. Combine 1/2 cup flour with the paprika, salt and dry mustard; toss with short ribs.
- Place remaining ingredients except 2 tablespoons flour and the water in slow cooker; stir to mix beef ribs with onions rings (be sure onions are under beef ribs -- not on top).
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 12 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove short ribs to warm serving platter. If thickened gravy is desired, make a smooth paste of flour and water. Turn slow cooker to High and stir in paste. Cover and cook until gravy is thickened.
I found this pretty bland so I added extra liquid and about 1/2c of BBQ sauce to give it a little flavor. This is a great starter recipe that you can easily change up to your liking.
I LOVE LOVE Beef Short Ribs. This was easy, but I forgot how beef shrinks.. I would suggest another lb at least. Flavor was mild-= not as deep as I had hoped, but I liked the gravy it made. Next time, I'm thinking of adding more garlic, red wine to get a deeper taste. THANKS!