Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
From Cooking Light...another version of short ribs...Serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
Make and share this Braised Short Ribs recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs boneless beef short ribs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced leek
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1⁄4 cup thnly sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup thnly sliced mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups dry red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 parsley sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 ounces reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Line a medium bowl with a 16-inch square piece of cheesecloth. Heat a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add half of beef to pan; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Transfer beef to cheesecloth lined bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining beef. Loosley knot edges of cheesecloth to form a bundle. Keep warm.
- Add onion and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Saute 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add wine, peppercorns, thyme sprigs, parsley sprig, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 11 minutes or until wine almost evaporates.
- Place meat bundle on top of vegetables; add any liquid from bowl to pan. Add broth to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Tranfer meat bundle to a clean bowl using tongs, and keep warm. Strain broth through a colander into a bowl, and discard solids. Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 4-cup glass measure. Pour broth into bag, and let stand for 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag, and carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into pan, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Add flour to pan, stirring with a whisk, and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 1/4 cups (about 10 minutes). Add 1 tablespoon butter, stirring until butter melts. Serve with beef. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.