Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I saw a version of this recipe using Lamb Chops on a Food Network show, and decided to try it with short ribs, it turned out great. I put ranges on some of the ingredients because I don't really measure, just use my judgement based on the amount of meat you are using. Use more or less tomatoes and broth, also, depending on the amount of ribs you are cooking. I have used bone in short rib meat before and it works really well, too.
- 3 lbs boneless beef short ribs, cut into individual ribs
- 1 -2 onion, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 -4 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- all-purpose flour
- garlic powder
- cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Season ribs with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Dredge lightly in flour. In a heavy oven-proof pan, such as a cast iron dutch oven, heat oil over medium/high. Add ribs in batches and cook just until brown on all sides, but not until cooked through.
- Remove ribs to plate or bowl as they get browned. Once all ribs are browned, turn off heat and return ribs to pan. Top with onions, carrots, garlic, tomatoes and then pour on broth. Cover.
- Place in oven to complete cooking, anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hour depending on the size of the meat. Leave in oven until done completely and very tender.
- Serve over creamy mashed potatoes.
Yummy! This was my first time making short ribs. I followed the recipe exactly. The time for this is way off; my ribs took about an hour and a half. I served it over mashed potatoes as recommended. I will saute the onions and garlic to give it more flavor. My family loved it! Made for PAC Fall 2012