Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This makes a delicious stew. It is also really good made ahead and reheated. Makes plenty.
- 6 lbs short rib of beef
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, including liquid
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- orange zest
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1 lb of peeled baby carrots
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Pat short ribs dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Coarsely puree tomatoes with liquid in blender. With a vegetable peeler shave off 6 strips of orange zest.
- In a heavy 6-quart kettle, heat oil over moderately high heat, until hot but not smoking, and brown ribs in batches, transferring with tongs to a large bowl.
- Add chopped onions to kettle and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden. Add garlic and cook, stirring 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce, zest, rosemary, and salt to taste and bring to boil. Add ribs including any juices that have accumulated in bowl and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Add pearl onions and carrots, stirring and pushing down to make sure they are covered by liquid, and simmer, covered 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Transfer meat, pearl onions, carrots with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. Reduce braising liquid, if necessary. Return meat and vegetables to kettle and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- Stew may be made 3 days ahead and cooled uncovered before chilling covered. Reheat stew, adding water as necessary to thin sauce.
- Garnish with parsley.
Wonderful recipe !!!!! My boyfriend loved, and his friends were impressed!! And it was very easy to make
Excellent recipe! Great flavors. I hope you don't mind, I made this in the crock pot, and used fresh rosemary but the flavors held up really well. (I commented to my honey that the 'sauce' would have been better if it were reduced as written in your recipe) but overall awesome and easy