4 hrs 30 mins
This makes a delicious stew. It is also really good made ahead and reheated. Makes plenty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs short rib of beef
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, including liquid
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- orange zest
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1 lb of peeled baby carrots
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 1Pat short ribs dry and season with salt and pepper.
- 2Coarsely puree tomatoes with liquid in blender. With a vegetable peeler shave off 6 strips of orange zest.
- 3In a heavy 6-quart kettle, heat oil over moderately high heat, until hot but not smoking, and brown ribs in batches, transferring with tongs to a large bowl.
- 4Add chopped onions to kettle and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden. Add garlic and cook, stirring 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce, zest, rosemary, and salt to taste and bring to boil. Add ribs including any juices that have accumulated in bowl and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- 5Add pearl onions and carrots, stirring and pushing down to make sure they are covered by liquid, and simmer, covered 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- 6Transfer meat, pearl onions, carrots with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. Reduce braising liquid, if necessary. Return meat and vegetables to kettle and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- 7Stew may be made 3 days ahead and cooled uncovered before chilling covered. Reheat stew, adding water as necessary to thin sauce.
- 8Garnish with parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Short Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (643 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1916.4
- Calories from Fat 1505
- Total Fat 167.2 g
- Saturated Fat 71.9 g
- Cholesterol 344.9 mg
- Sodium 491.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 68.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen pearl onions