Prep 10 mins
Cook 47 mins
Great tastey winter side dish! from Canadian Living magazine.
Make and share this Braised Shallots and Squash Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups shallots, about 1 lb
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons crumbled dried sage
- 4 cups cubed peeled squash (rutabaga or or and carrots may be substituted for squash)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (19 ounce) cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat, cook shallots and garlic until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add flour and sage, cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add squash, veggie stock, wine, salt and pepper, bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer over medium low heat or cover and cook in 350°F oven until squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Using potato masher, mash half of the beans.
- Add mashed and remaining whole beans to pan, cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until heated through and sauce is slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley.