Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love this recipe with a steak.
- 500 g red onions, peeled
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 125 ml white wine
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Cut the onions in half through the root then into slices cutting through the root again.
- Put them into a pan with the oil and cook gently for 7 minutes stirring occasionally, until they start to soften.
- Pour in the wine add the fennel seeds sugar salt and pepper.
- Partially cover with a lid and cook gently for approx 10 minutes.
- They should be tender and most of the liquid evaporated.
- Serve hot.
I used red pearl onions and they were superb! . The fennel gives a mellow flavor to the onions. I used brown sugar substitute for the sweet and cut it back. The onions looked attractive and tasted wonderful Thanks Latchy for your contribution to a very enjoyable dinner
The conversion program didn't seem to be working when I made this. It read 1/8 cup salt. I didn't think that was right, so I had to guess at the quantities to use. I think I guessed pretty well, because the onions were very good and went well with steak. They were pretty sweet with 1 tsp sugar. For my preference, I will make them without sugar next time, but my daughter said she liked them just exactly as the recipe was written. Thanks for sharing.