Prep1 hr 30 mins
From the LA Times, for the best flavor, use tart apples such as Gala, Winesap or Arkansas Black. This recipe can be prepared several days in advance and kept tightly covered in the refrigerator.
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter (or canola oil)
- 59.14 ml shallot, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml apple, peeled and diced (approximately 1 large apple)
- 1133.98 g red cabbage, cored, tough outer leaves removed and thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml apple cider vinegar
- 236.59 ml dry red wine, divided
- 14.79 ml honey (or agave for vegans)
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 12 juniper berries
- 4.92 ml caraway seed
- 236.59 ml hazelnuts, toasted, skins removed and coarsely chopped
- In a large casserole or Dutch oven, melt the butter and cook the shallots and apples over medium-low heat until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage, vinegar, three-fourths cup wine, the honey and 1 teaspoons salt. Tie the thyme and juniper berries in a cheesecloth bag and stir in with the rest of the ingredients. Cover the pot and bring to a slow simmer.
- Simmer the cabbage until tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to make sure that the cabbage doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Stir the remaining one-fourth cup wine into the pot halfway through cooking, and add additional water throughout the cooking process if the liquid evaporates and the cabbage becomes dry.
- When the cabbage is almost done, toast the caraway seeds in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Shake the pan frequently so the seeds do not burn. Remove from heat.
- When the cabbage is tender, remove the pot from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the toasted caraway seeds, then cool, cover and refrigerate until needed. Reheat, adjust the seasoning if needed and serve sprinkled with toasted hazelnuts.
This was delish!!!! I started by sauteing the onions not shallots in smart balance oil added the apple with skin and cabbage. I did add fennel seed because it also acts as an excellent digestive aid to relieve abdominal cramps, gas and bloating. I so forgot the nut and didn`t miss them. Maybe I`ll add them tomorrow! Thanks for this healthy tasty goodness.