1/1 Photo of Braised Red Cabbage With Toasted Hazelnuts
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
From the LA Times, for the best flavor, use tart apples such as Gala, Winesap or Arkansas Black. This recipe can be prepared several days in advance and kept tightly covered in the refrigerator.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or canola oil)
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup apple, peeled and diced (approximately 1 large apple)
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) red cabbage, cored, tough outer leaves removed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup dry red wine, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey (or agave for vegans)
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 12 juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skins removed and coarsely chopped
- 1In a large casserole or Dutch oven, melt the butter and cook the shallots and apples over medium-low heat until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in the cabbage, vinegar, three-fourths cup wine, the honey and 1 teaspoons salt. Tie the thyme and juniper berries in a cheesecloth bag and stir in with the rest of the ingredients. Cover the pot and bring to a slow simmer.
- 3Simmer the cabbage until tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to make sure that the cabbage doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Stir the remaining one-fourth cup wine into the pot halfway through cooking, and add additional water throughout the cooking process if the liquid evaporates and the cabbage becomes dry.
- 4When the cabbage is almost done, toast the caraway seeds in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Shake the pan frequently so the seeds do not burn. Remove from heat.
- 5When the cabbage is tender, remove the pot from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the toasted caraway seeds, then cool, cover and refrigerate until needed. Reheat, adjust the seasoning if needed and serve sprinkled with toasted hazelnuts.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Red Cabbage With Toasted Hazelnuts
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.7
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 40.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs