Recipe by Lennie
Posted in response to a request, taken from The New Canadian Basics Cookbook. The cookbook states this is a wonderful side dish to serve with pork, poultry and sausages, and I'd have to agree.
Top Review by Maine-iac
Our local super had a sale on red cabbage and I decided to try this recipe last night. I can highly recommend it, and this will be added to my recipe list. Very flavorful combination including the chicken stock, wine, and brown sugar. Since I'm a garlic lover, I added a couple extra cloves of garlic. Easy, flavorful side dish. Thanks, Lennie!
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 354.88 ml chopped red onions
- 1892.72 ml thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 apples, peeled & cored & chopped
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 59.14 ml red wine vinegar
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy saucepan, over medium heat, heat the oil then add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in cabbage, garlic and apples.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until cabbage begins to wilt.
- Stir in stock, vinegar, sugar and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until cabbage is soft and liquid has evaporated.
- Remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste.