Recipe by Lennie
Posted in response to a request, taken from The New Canadian Basics Cookbook. The cookbook states this is a wonderful side dish to serve with pork, poultry and sausages, and I'd have to agree.
Top Review by Maine-iac
Our local super had a sale on red cabbage and I decided to try this recipe last night. I can highly recommend it, and this will be added to my recipe list. Very flavorful combination including the chicken stock, wine, and brown sugar. Since I'm a garlic lover, I added a couple extra cloves of garlic. Easy, flavorful side dish. Thanks, Lennie!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red onions
- 8 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 apples, peeled & cored & chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy saucepan, over medium heat, heat the oil then add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in cabbage, garlic and apples.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until cabbage begins to wilt.
- Stir in stock, vinegar, sugar and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until cabbage is soft and liquid has evaporated.
- Remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste.