1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
From the BBC.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel off the outer leaves from the cabbage and discard.
- 2Quarter the cabbage, removing the tough stem, then thinly slice.
- 3Arrange a layer of the cabbage on the bottom of a large saucepan, followed by some of the onions, apples, zest, mixed spice, sugar and seasoning.
- 4Continue to create layers until you have used up the ingredients.
- 5Pour over the vinegar and cider and dot the butter on top.
- 6Bring to the boil then simmer with a lid on over low heat for 1½ hrs, until tender.
- 7The cabbage will keep for 2 days, covered, in the fridge or freeze for up to 1 month.
- 8Reheat in either a pan or in the microwave.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Red Cabbage With Cider & Apples
Serving Size: 1 (704 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.8
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.3 mg
- Sodium 188.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.7 g
- Sugars 55.7 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of