Braised Red Cabbage With Cider & Apples
- Peel off the outer leaves from the cabbage and discard.
- Quarter the cabbage, removing the tough stem, then thinly slice.
- Arrange a layer of the cabbage on the bottom of a large saucepan, followed by some of the onions, apples, zest, mixed spice, sugar and seasoning.
- Continue to create layers until you have used up the ingredients.
- Pour over the vinegar and cider and dot the butter on top.
- Bring to the boil then simmer with a lid on over low heat for 1½ hrs, until tender.
- The cabbage will keep for 2 days, covered, in the fridge or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Reheat in either a pan or in the microwave.