Recipe by Bayhill
Posted for the ZWT-France. This is a favorite side dish of the Ardennes region in northern France. From "LaVarenne's Basic French Cookery" cookbook.
Top Review by PanNan
For the ZWT 8 Crockpot forum challenge for France, I adapted this recipe for the crockpot, adding a chopped apple, 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, a bay leaf and replacing the vinegar for fresh lemon juice. I cooked it about 4 hours. It turned out very well. I posted recipe #484550 with the changes. Thanks for the inspiration, Bayhill!
- 1 medium red cabbage, halved and cored
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees (175C degrees).
- Shred cabbage.
- Heat butter in a 2-quart oven-proof casserole with lid. Stir in onion. Saute until soft but not browned.
- Add sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar caramelizes.
- Add shredded cabbage and vinegar; stir thoroughly. Add red wine, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and bake 45 to 55 minutes until cabbage is very tender, stirring once or twice.
- Remove lid toward end of cooking time if cabbage is very moist.
- Taste for seasoning, adding a little more sugar or vinegar if necessary.
- Serve hot.