1/1 Photo of Braised Red Cabbage (Choux Rouges Braisés)
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Posted for the ZWT-France. This is a favorite side dish of the Ardennes region in northern France. From "LaVarenne's Basic French Cookery" cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350F degrees (175C degrees).
- 2Shred cabbage.
- 3Heat butter in a 2-quart oven-proof casserole with lid. Stir in onion. Saute until soft but not browned.
- 4Add sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar caramelizes.
- 5Add shredded cabbage and vinegar; stir thoroughly. Add red wine, salt, and pepper.
- 6Cover and bake 45 to 55 minutes until cabbage is very tender, stirring once or twice.
- 7Remove lid toward end of cooking time if cabbage is very moist.
- 8Taste for seasoning, adding a little more sugar or vinegar if necessary.
- 9Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Red Cabbage (Choux Rouges Braisés)
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.7
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 109.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 3.3 g