Braised Red Cabbage, Apples, and Brats
- Melt the bacon fat in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sugar and cook, stirring often, until sugar browns (about 4 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to medium low, add the onion, and saute it until golden.
- Add cabbage, apples, vinegar and caraway seeds. Stir to blend.
- Place sausage links and potatoes on top of cabbage mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper, then pour beer all over.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Taste to adjust seasonings.