Recipe by Kaarin
A recipe my mom taught me to make...I love the sweet and sour flavors in this! If you like, caraway seed may be added with the water to enhance the flavors.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb red cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 tart apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large skillet; add sugar and cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add onion; cook slowly until light colored.
- Stir in cabbage, apples, vinegar, cayenne and wine.
- Cook, covered, 10 minutes.
- Add water and cook, with lid askew, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes more.
- Salt and pepper to taste.