Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
163 Best Paleo Slow Cooker serves 6-8
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 apples, peeled cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inches)
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar crystals
- 2 tablespoons water
- In large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions, and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add apples, salt, pepper, cloves and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add cabbage, in batches, stirring until it begins to wilt before adding more. Stir in vinegar, coconut sugar and water.
- Transfer to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high, stirring once or twice, for 3 hours, until cabbage is tender. Discard cinnamon stick.