1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Recipe is from Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large head red cabbage (about 3 pounds, cored and thinly sliced) or 2 small head red cabbage (about 3 pounds, cored and thinly sliced)
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 -3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Cook the bacon until crisp, over medium heat in a large Dutch, that has a lid, about 4 minutes.
- 2Add the onions, cinnamon, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- 3Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
- 4Increase the heat to medium-high, add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 8 minutes.
- 5Add the apple, broth, vinegar, sugar, the remaining salt, and pepper, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 1 hour.
- 6Uncover; bring to a boil, and cook, stirring, until the liquid has reduced to a sauce-like consistency, about 5 minutes.
- 7Transfer to a serving dish and serve.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Red Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.7
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.2 mg
- Sodium 1365.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 6.4 g