Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Recipe is from Food Network.
Make and share this Braised Red Cabbage recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices bacon, thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large head red cabbage (about 3 pounds, cored and thinly sliced) or 2 small head red cabbage (about 3 pounds, cored and thinly sliced)
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 -3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon until crisp, over medium heat in a large Dutch, that has a lid, about 4 minutes.
- Add the onions, cinnamon, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 8 minutes.
- Add the apple, broth, vinegar, sugar, the remaining salt, and pepper, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 1 hour.
- Uncover; bring to a boil, and cook, stirring, until the liquid has reduced to a sauce-like consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve.
This was tasty, we only used half a cabbage as this is all we had so halved everything else. I used streaky bacon as I think it needed a little of that smoky bacon fat to cut through the vinegar - next time I think I will use a little more bacon as opposed to having to cut back on the vinegar. Thanks for posting.