Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Don't say you wont eat rabbit until you've tried this one. You can make it without the cold smoking portion also.
- 1 small rabbit (1 to 2 lb.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chervil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, clarified
- 1 red onion, pared,halved
- 1 carrot (batonette)
- 1 celery rib (batonette)
- 2 red potatoes, cut in quarter
- 1 quart brown chicken stock
- 4 ounces lima beans, shelled
- skinned seeded finely chopped tomatoes, pulp
- lemon thyme, chopped,to taste
- Remove hind legs from rabbit; remove thigh bones.
- Combine herbs; sprinkle in thigh cavity.
- Season with salt and pepper; reserve.
- Trim off belly and front legs; cold smoke using desired wood for about 1 hour.
- Season rabbit loin; dice smoked pieces.
- Place butter in large pan; heat until hot.
- Add loin and smoked pieces; sear on all sides.
- Remove from pan; reserve.
- Place onion, carrot and celery in pan; cook until onion is caramelized.
- Return rabbit loin, smoked pieces and thigh to pan; add potatoes, stock and lima beans.
- Heat to boiling; cover.
- Place in 210 degree F oven; braise for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove rabbit loin, thighs, celery, carrot, onion and potatoes; reserve hot.
- Strain stock; place lima beans and smoked pieces in saute pan.
- Add tomato concassee and pinch of herbs; saute lightly.
- Add herbs to stock; heat until hot.
- Adjust seasoning.
- TO SERVE: Debone loin; reserve meat warm.
- Arrange celery and carrot batons on warm platter; lay thighs over.
- Arrange potatoes in two rows; place lima bean mixture in space between rows.
- Lay loins on beans.
- Pour stock over all.
- Serve with cornbread.