1 hr 10 mins
Don't say you wont eat rabbit until you've tried this one. You can make it without the cold smoking portion also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small rabbit (1 to 2 lb.)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chervil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, clarified
- 1 red onion, pared,halved
- 1 carrot (batonette)
- 1 celery rib (batonette)
- 2 red potatoes, cut in quarter
- 1 quart brown chicken stock
- 4 ounces lima beans, shelled
- 1Remove hind legs from rabbit; remove thigh bones.
- 2Combine herbs; sprinkle in thigh cavity.
- 3Season with salt and pepper; reserve.
- 4Trim off belly and front legs; cold smoke using desired wood for about 1 hour.
- 5Season rabbit loin; dice smoked pieces.
- 6Place butter in large pan; heat until hot.
- 7Add loin and smoked pieces; sear on all sides.
- 8Remove from pan; reserve.
- 9Place onion, carrot and celery in pan; cook until onion is caramelized.
- 10Return rabbit loin, smoked pieces and thigh to pan; add potatoes, stock and lima beans.
- 11Heat to boiling; cover.
- 12Place in 210 degree F oven; braise for 30 to 40 minutes.
- 13Remove rabbit loin, thighs, celery, carrot, onion and potatoes; reserve hot.
- 14Strain stock; place lima beans and smoked pieces in saute pan.
- 15Add tomato concassee and pinch of herbs; saute lightly.
- 16Add herbs to stock; heat until hot.
- 17Adjust seasoning.
- 18TO SERVE: Debone loin; reserve meat warm.
- 19Arrange celery and carrot batons on warm platter; lay thighs over.
- 20Arrange potatoes in two rows; place lima bean mixture in space between rows.
- 21Lay loins on beans.
- 22Pour stock over all.
- 23Serve with cornbread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Rabbit Brunswick Stew
Serving Size: 1 (870 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.0
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 44.9 mg
- Sodium 1008.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 19.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: