Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Posted in response to a request for recipes using rabbit. This recipe is from the cookbooklet "Blue and Grey Cookery - Authentic Recipes from The Civil War Years".
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- Dredge the rabbit pieces in the seasoned flour.
- Combine the egg and 1 T water.
- Dip the rabbit pieces in the egg.
- Coat the pieces well with bread crumbs.
- Brown on all sides in the hot lard or bacon drippings.
- Slowly add 1 c water to the skillet and cover tightly.
- Simmer 1 hour or more until tender.
First of all let me state that my Father use to make the most wonderful fried rabbit. This recipe comes real close to his. The best fried rabbit I have tried yet on my search for his. We used wild rabbit and it turned out tender and tasty. I ran a little short on the egg wash and will double the wash the next time. I would also added more water, perhaps another cup, will simmering. There was not much liquid left for gravy. Thank you for posting.