Recipe by JustJanS
A recipe I found in one of my son's cookbooks. I've got 6 jumbo quail in the freezer and plan to make this soon. It looks simple which is how I like my quail! The recipe really didn't give cooking times or quantities of herbs etc but that's ok with me! So, I have put zero in cooking time!
- 6 quail
- 6 slices pancetta or 6 slices bacon
- 6 sage leaves, small sprigs ok
- rosemary, small sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, cut into three each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- sage and rosemary, extra few sprigs
- 1 cup white wine
- chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean the quail and pat dry.
- Place a slice of pancetta, a sage and rosemary sprig, and a sliver of garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large, lidded frying pan and brown the quail all over quickly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add extra rosemary and sage leaves and the white wine.
- Put the lid on, turn the heat down to low and cook very slowly adding more wine and chicken stock as needed. Cook until well done.
- Serve with polenta and a salad of radiccio or rocket if you want to.