Recipe by Madilayn
Found in an old magazine. This is a great recipe - that is a terrific side or a meal in itself. To re-heat, don't microwave, but reheat in the frypan after cooking meat, etc., so that it picks up some of the flavours. This is also great when made part of scrambled eggs!
Top Review by NurseJaney
Prepared for Australia/NZ Swap #19, for my adopted joey. This was VERY tasty, and complemented the baked chicken and fresh chard we had for dinner. DH could pick up the aroma of the sauted onions and bacon LONG before I had the rest put together. I thought I had some frozen mixed veggies, but alas, 'twas only peas -- but turned out fine. Thanks, Madilayn, for a lovely side recipe. Hope you fill in your info on the About Me page so we can all learn more about you.
- 3 large potatoes, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 thinly sliced onions
- 25 g butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup frozen vegetables (mixed frozen veges are great in this!)
- 250 g diced bacon or 250 g bacon, pieces
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt & pepper
- whole grain mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut potatoes into 5mm thick slices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan. Add onions and bacon & cook, stirring until onions are golden brown & bacon is cooked. Remove from pan.
- Heat remaining oil and butter in the same pan. Add potatoes & cook, turning occasionally until browned all over. Remove from pan.
- Drain oil mixture from pan. Return potatoes & onions to the pan with garlic and stock.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in frozen vegetables and mushrooms and cook, covered, for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley & season with salt & pepper.
- Serve with grain mustard.