Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I'm just trying this recipe today and am posting so I won't lose it. I cut it out of the Pitt Post Gazette. So far the few tastes I've tried the sauerkraut is very good and for me that is great because I don't care for it.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1814.36 g rolled boneless pork loin
- 7.39 ml salt
- 4.92 ml fresh ground pepper
- 118.29 ml butter
- 946.36 ml thinly sliced sweet onions
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml Dijon mustard
- 4 (1757.67 g) can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 177.44 ml chicken broth
- 177.44 ml beef broth
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides in oil and transfer to plate.
- Melt butter in same pan. Add onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the brown sugar; cook stirring until onions begin to caramelize, another 4 minutes.
- Add the mustard and sauerkraut; stir until combined and then pour in the broths. Bring to a boil stirring to loosen any browned bits in the pan.
- Return the meat to pan. Cover and reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender, about 3-4 hours.
- Remove the meat from the pan and cover loosely with foil. Bring the sauerkraut to a boil and reduce the liquid by half.
- Carve the meat and serve with the sauerkraut.
- Serves 10.
Absolutely DELICIOUS! I followed the recipe exactly, but realized last minute that I didn't have any sauerkraut in the pantry like I thought, so I finished cooking it in the Dutch oven per the recipe. Fortunately, my Mom gave me some of the kraut she had prepared, but I decided to hold off adding it in case my youngest daughter wouldn't like it. Well, I can say that without the sauerkraut it is unbelievably tender and the favor is just amazing...and it's every bit as good with the kraut too. This recipe is a keeper and I plan on coming back to it throughout the year (if my super picky daughter says its the best she's ever tasted, and she even tried it both ways, then that's something)!<br/><br/>I shredded the pork the next day, added some BBQ sauce, and placed it on toasted/grilled hoagie rolls. Wow!
this was so good in the crock pot and i used some of the pork with Pulled Pork Sandwhich it was amazing try this combo great stuff made for pac