Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A classic recipe that I learned in college. Very simple and tasty, with plenty of variations. Great served with kebabs and grilled meats. Everybody loves this, in fact my children get excited when they see this and they are only 3 and 1!
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 ounces chopped onions
- 8 ounces long grain rice
- 400 ml chicken stock or 400 ml vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- Place 3 oz butter in an ovenproof pan; add onion.
- Cook gently without colour, 2-3 minutes, and then add the rice.
- Cook gently without colour, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the hot stock should be about twice the amount of liquid to rice. Stir well and season.
- Cover with a lid or buttered greaseproof paper.
- Place in a hot oven 230-250°C approx 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- When cooked carefully mix in the remaining butter with a fork.
- For variations try mixing in some fried mushroom slices and toasted pine nuts and parsley, or peas and diced peppers or ham, or add some grated cheese just before serving.
This rice is very versatile like other reviewers have noted; I made it plain (as written) as a side dish to grilled chicken, however I only used 1 tbsp of the butter which was plenty for us. It would be too greasy for us with the full amount of butter. I don't get why this need to cook in the oven. I cooked it on the stove top which worked find, but would have cooked it in the oven to try it out had my oven not been full of chicken and bread at the time.
The simplicity of this side appealed to be but I just couldn't bring myself to use all of the ask for fat. I used 1 tsp of canola oil total for the onion and rice in the first step. It came up nicely flavored with the onion and would be good with many entree's. It was enjoyed, thanks for posting it Noo. :D
This was a great simple and quick rice side dish!!! I made as written, although allowing for some light color in rice and onion. It is nice and buttery, but felt it was two much, so only used 3 ounces of the butter. I still felt it needed more flavor, so added some Lawry's Seasoned Salt just before serving and we really enjoyed the rice. Next time I will just cook it on stove top with the lid that way not having to heat oven and top. Thanks for sharing a great recipe Noo. Made for PRMR.