1/1 Photo of Braised Pheasant in Remarkable Mushroom Gravy
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Seriously, the gravy is amazing. Get a loaf of bread and sop up that deliciousness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 pheasants, split and trimmed
- 1 cup seasoned flour (reserve 2 tbs)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 -3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (depends on how much you like mushrooms, if you're not a big fan, you might want to chop them up, too)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1Dredge pheasant pieces in seasoned flour.
- 2Heat butter and 2 tbs oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Add about 5 pheasant pieces -- make sure everything's in a single layer and not overly crowded. Cook 3 minutes/side until brown and remove. Repeat with remaining pheasant, adding oil as needed.
- 3Remove last batch of pheasant and set aside. Add mushrooms. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- 4Add onions to mushrooms, cooking for three or four minutes until tender.
- 5Add 2 tbsp of reserved seasoned flour. Stir well.
- 6Add wine, stock, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and make sure to scrape all those bits from the bottom of the dutch oven. Add pheasant pieces.
- 7Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- 8Serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
Browse Our Top Pheasant Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pheasant Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Pheasant in Remarkable Mushroom Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (544 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 963.6
- Calories from Fat 451
- Total Fat 50.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 305.2 mg
- Sodium 648.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 94.6 g