Recipe by seapard
Seriously, the gravy is amazing. Get a loaf of bread and sop up that deliciousness.
Top Review by teresas
We really enjoyed the flavors. Thought the mushrooms and onions worked well together. The Pheasant came out nice and tender. Not the best looking dish but it was full of good things. Thanks for posting. :)
- 3 pheasants, split and trimmed
- 1 cup seasoned flour (reserve 2 tbs)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 -3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (depends on how much you like mushrooms, if you're not a big fan, you might want to chop them up, too)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Dredge pheasant pieces in seasoned flour.
- Heat butter and 2 tbs oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Add about 5 pheasant pieces -- make sure everything's in a single layer and not overly crowded. Cook 3 minutes/side until brown and remove. Repeat with remaining pheasant, adding oil as needed.
- Remove last batch of pheasant and set aside. Add mushrooms. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add onions to mushrooms, cooking for three or four minutes until tender.
- Add 2 tbsp of reserved seasoned flour. Stir well.
- Add wine, stock, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and make sure to scrape all those bits from the bottom of the dutch oven. Add pheasant pieces.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.