Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
One of my husbands favorites. Great with everything.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs onions, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 7 celery ribs, cut diagonally into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- In a large heavy skillet cook the onions in the oil, covered, over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
- Season the onions with salt and pepper and cook them, uncovered, over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until they are tender and beginning to turn golden.
- Add the celery and cook the mixture, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the celery is crisp-tender.
A nice simple recipe. I used mountain pepper [an Australian native spice] which worked out really well.