Recipe by Sharon123
Use an assortment of your favorite olives in this dish. Served warm with thick slices of bread for dipping into the savory sauce, this becomes a hearty appetizer or side dish-almost a meal in itself!
Top Review by FlemishMinx
So much great flavor in this recipe. I used equal portions green and black olives, the red wine but no anchovies and I served it over pasta. I think this would be wonderful with all the liquid cooked out then served as a chunky spread over warm crusty bread. Thanks for posting!
- 2 cups assorted green olives in brine or 2 cups black olives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed fennel seeds
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 2 cups canned tomatoes, drained
- 4 -6 minced sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the olives and set them aside.
- In a nonreactive skillet or saucepan, warm the oil and garlic on medium heat.
- When the garlic begins to sizzle, add the olives, fennel seeds, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, and the red wine, if using.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the parsley, and serve warm.