Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Earth, Fire, Air, Water. Sweet, Sour, Bitter, Salt. This dish is well-balanced and completely satisfying. I love it with polenta, but if you are not suffering from a wheat allergy...by all means...Find the best, crusty baguette you can and get dipping!
- 2 lbs fresh mussels, live, clean
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup leek, juillienned
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon sriracha hot chili paste
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon sultana
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, Coarsely Chopped
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, whole, sliced or slivered
- Make sure mussels are clean and alive.
- In a large dutch oven, over medium heat, saute the leeks in the olive oil for 2 minutes. Add chopped garlic and continue to cook for 1 more minute, or until garlic just begins to take on color.
- Add the wine and the next three ingredients, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the mussels and golden raisins (Sultanas) and cover for 3-5 minutes. Check frequently--they are ready as soon as the mussels open.
- Remove the pot from the heat and discard any mussels that did not open. Serve, piping hot with broth, garnishing with the parsley and almonds of your choice(I like toasted slivers or whole almonds for this).