Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Terrific mushrooms in a lovely rich sauce to serve with beef! Two pounds of mushrooms will look like a lot, but it cooks down a lot, so don't skimp!
- 2 lbs button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)
- Wash the mushrooms and remove or trim any long stems if you want a "dressier" dish. Otherwise it's fine to leave them on. Pat the mushrooms dry with a paper towel.
- Saute mushrooms in butter and olive oil at medium high heat until mushrooms are browned.
- Continue to cook at medium heat as the juices are released from the mushrooms. Simmer the mushrooms until the juices are reduced to almost dry.
- Add beef stock (and red wine if desired) and continue simmering until the stock has reduced to a sauce-like consistency.