Braised Lentils With Saffron
- Soak lentils for about 6 hours.
- Peel and halve the onion and place into a saucepan with 3 tablespoons oil and the ham.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the saucepan, brown breifly, then moisten with the wine.
- Add the saffron strands and powdered saffron.
- When the wine has evaporated, pour just enough hot stock to cover the lentils.
- bring to a boil, lower the heat and cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Taste and add salt if necessary, then discard the onion and serve hot.