Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Wonderfully simple comfort food. Enjoy!
- 1 3⁄4 cups lentils
- 1 large onion
- olive oil
- 3⁄4 ounce raw ham, cut into slivers
- 1 pinch saffron strand
- 1 pinch powdered saffron
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- hot chicken stock (can be made with bullion)
- Soak lentils for about 6 hours.
- Peel and halve the onion and place into a saucepan with 3 tablespoons oil and the ham.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the saucepan, brown breifly, then moisten with the wine.
- Add the saffron strands and powdered saffron.
- When the wine has evaporated, pour just enough hot stock to cover the lentils.
- bring to a boil, lower the heat and cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Taste and add salt if necessary, then discard the onion and serve hot.