Recipe by akgrown
From Health Magazine.
Top Review by Ms*Bindy
Loved it....except I did not like the wilted spinach. I would have preferred to braise the lentils an onions and then serve them over the fresh spinach. Also...took me a bit longer than 35 minutes for my lentils to soften...the aroma was amazing!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (or apple juice)
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 (10 ounce) bagprewashed fresh spinach
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat in a dutch oven, and sauté carrots and shallots for 5 minutes.Add wine and scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add lentils, onion, broth, salt, pepper, and thyme, and bring to a boil.Reduce heat to medium-low and cover tightly. Cook for 35 minutes, stirring twice, until lentils are tender and liquid is almost evaporated.
- Stir in vinegar and spinach, and simmer uncovered for 5 min more, until liquid reduces slightly and spinach wilts. Sprinkle with crumbled feta and serve.
- For vegetarian use vegetable broth.