1/1 Photo of Braised Leeks With Mustard Cream
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Another delicious-sounding vegetable side dish - slightly adapted - from Vicki Wild's 'Wild Sides: An A-Z of exceptional vegetable side dishes'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 75 g unsalted butter, chopped, plus
- 50 g unsalted butter, for the mustard cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium leeks, thoroughly washed and trimmed
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 medium golden shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- 2Spread the chopped butter and oil over the base of a roasting pan large enough to hold the leeks in one layer.
- 3Add the leeks and roast for 10 minutes.
- 4Remove the leeks from the oven and turn them over in the pan.
- 5Roast for a further 10 minutes.
- 6Remove the leeks from the oven and add the stock.
- 7Roast for another 10 minutes or until the leeks have started to brown slightly and the stock has reduced.
- 8Remove the leeks from the oven and keep warm on the serving dish by covering them with aluminium foil.
- 9MAKING THE MUSTARD CREAM: Melt the remaining 50g of butter in a small sauté pan over a medium heat.
- 10Add the shallots and sauté for 5 minutes or until softened.
- 11Increase the heat a little, add the wine and slowly bring to the boil.
- 12Simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.
- 13Stir in the cream and simmer gently until the sauce begins to thicken.
- 14Stir in the mustard.
- 15Add half the chives and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 16Drizzle the leeks with the mustard cream and garnish with the remaining chives.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Leeks With Mustard Cream
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.0
- Calories from Fat 427
- Total Fat 47.5 g
- Saturated Fat 27.0 g
- Cholesterol 135.6 mg
- Sodium 226.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 6.0 g