Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
from gourmet magazine this recipe is perfect for a festive holiday meal. it tastes even better if you make it the day before. for advance prep omit the spinach and add before you are ready to serve
- 4 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 -3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 6 carrots, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 2 lbs spinach
- preheat oven to 350.
- heat oil in skillet.
- sprinkle lamb with salt& pepper and brown in skillet, in batches.
- transfer to a large baking dish.
- pour fat out of skillet, add onions and celery and cook until softened.
- add garlic, cumin and coriander.
- add water and bring to boil scraping up bits in the skillet, add to the lamb break up the canned tomatoes with your hands and add to the lamb with the juices cover and place in oven, cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- add carrots and cook for 1/2 hour.
- put pot back on stovetop and add spinach, stirring until wilted about 5 minutes season with salt& pepper.
I Cut the recipe in half -no problem, excellent. I made it in a crockpot, cooked on low for 4 1/2 hours. Browned the lamb in a skillet, put whole new carrots in the crockpot, topped with lamb.Seasones with salt & Pepper Poured off the fat from the skillet sauted the onion & celery added it to the crockpot along with spices, tomatoe & 1/2 cup water. About. 10 minutes before serving I added the spinach on top, turned the pot to high when the spinach was wilted I put it on heated plates served the lamb beside it with baby new potatoes - Wonderful easy meal. You could even get this ready the night before and refrigerate it and cook it the next day Thank-you Chia another winner
Like Bergy, I cut this in half too. It was quick and easy and full of fresh vegies. Our oven isn't working at the moment, so I did this all in a large saucepan over a low heat on the top of the stove. It worked fine.
My Mum found this on here and has made it 2 weekends running!! I guess that says it all! The 2nd time was for our visit so I can vouch for it being really delicious! Thanks Chia!