Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I've only made this once and it was amazing!!! I found it on the cover of Bon Appetit in October of 2000. Really good hearty, homey meal for the cold months. Not too difficult to prepare either.
Lamb and Squash
- 4 3⁄4 lbs lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped parsnip
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 whole garlic heads, unpeeled, horizontally cut in half
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large orange, peel and pith removed, quartered
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 3⁄4 lbs butternut squash, quartered lenthwise, seeded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 medium fresh fennel bulb
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 bunches red swiss chard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Sprinkle lamb on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat.
- Add lamb, cook until brown turning occasionally; about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add 1 Tbls butter to dripping in pot.
- Add onions, carrots, parsnips, thyme and garlic.
- Sauté until vegetables soften and begin to brown.
- Add wine, boil until reduced almost to a glaze; about 4 minutes.
- Return lamb to pot, arrange in single layer.
- Add stock, orange, cinnamon and 1 tsp fennel seeds, bring to a boil.
- Place pot in the oven.
- Braise lamb uncovered until tender, turning and basting often; about 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub cut sides of squash with 1 Tbls butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Arrange squash, skin side down on a baking sheet.
- Roast on sheet alongside lamb until tender; about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Scrape squash from skins into a bowl.
- Add nutmeg and 2 Tbls of butter.
- Mash with a fork until almost smooth, season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer lamb to a plate, strain braising liquid into a bowl; spoon off the fat if desired. Return liquid to pot.
- Add fresh fennel, orange peel and 1 tsp fennel seeds.
- Simmer until fennel is tender and sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon.
- Rewarm lamb shanks, covered, over medium heat; about 15 minutes.
- Rewarm squash in a saucepan over low heat, stirring often; about 10 minutes.
- While the lamb and squash heat, cut out the center stem from the chard leaves, discard.
- Coarsely tear the leaves.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet over high heat.
- Add chard and toss until it wilts; about 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide chard and squash among 4 plates.
- Arrange the lamb atop the vegetables, spoon sauce with fennel over the top.