Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is one of my best recipes--lots of flavours and different tastes in on the same plate. The sauce is the cooking liquor that had been thickened the tomato onion gravy. The swiss chard tastes great with ginger and honey as it bitter and honey make a great contrast. I like to serve this with lemony curry mashed potatoes.
- 6 lamb shanks
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 200 g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn, in brine
- 50 ml cream (optional)
- 50 ml thick yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 bunches swiss chard (washed and chopped)
- 15 ml oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 250 g yukon gold potatoes (boiled and mashed)
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 100 ml buttermilk
- Wash and clean lamb shanks under cold running water.
- Rub with the dry spice mixture and lemon juice (keep for 15 minutes).
- In a pan heat oil and sauté the onions with bay leaves about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, garlic and add the dry rubbed lamb shanks.
- Sauté over low heat and allow the excess fate to render down.
- When the shanks are brown all over, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Drain excess fat and add in the rest of the onions and tomatoes.
- Sauté till the mixture is fairly thick and moisture has reduced (12 minutes).
- Add in the dry spices, ginger and garlic paste at once and sauté till the mixture starts sticking to the bottom (5 minutes).
- Add the lamb shanks and cover completely with water.
- Add the salt and cook covered in a 350°F oven for 2 hours or till tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove the shanks and keep warm. Reduce the sauce skimming any extra fat and add in the peppercorns, cream and yougurt.
- Check for seasoning and keep aside.
- In a hot pan heat oil and sauté ginger briefly. Add in the washed chard and wilt it down. Cook covered for about 6 minutes; add in the honey and salt and pepper.
- For the mashed potatoes, combine all ingredients in a MICROWAVE-PROOF dish and season with salt and pepper; enrich with buttermilk if desired.
- On a plate:.
- Scoop mashed potatoes in the center.
- Place sautéed chard in front of the potatoes. Serve 1 shank per person neatly arranged over the chard and sauce served on the side.
- You can garnish this dish with plantain chips to make a real hotel-style look.