3 hrs 30 mins
Found on epicurious.com. Sounds like it takes awhile to prep, but based on the reviews, sounds like it's worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For lamb shanks
- 4 lamb shanks (about 1 pound each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarse
- 1 medium carrot, chopped coarse
- 1 celery rib, chopped coarse
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped coarse
- 3 1/2 cups full-bodied red wine (Bordeaux preferred)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (preferably flat-leafed)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped fine
- 2 small carrots, chopped fine
- 2 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked white beans (preferably Great Northern or navy)
- 2 -2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 fresh tarragon sprigs
- 1Make lamb shanks:.
- 2Pat lamb shanks dry and season with salt and pepper.
- 3In an 8-quart heavy flameproof casserole heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown lamb shanks well in batches, transferring to a plate as browned.
- 4To casserole add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and saute until onion is softened.
- 5Add wine and simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to about 3 cups.
- 6Return lamb shanks to casserole and stir in broth, tomato paste, and thyme.
- 7Bring liquid to a boil and simmer, covered, stirring and turning lamb shanks occasionally, 1 1/2 hours.
- 8Simmer mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 1 hour more, or until lamb shanks are tender.
- 9Make the gremolata while lamb is cooking:.
- 10In a small bowl stir together gremolata ingredients.
- 11Make beans while lamb is cooking:.
- 12In a saucepan heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and cook onions, carrots, celery, and garlic, stirring, 2 or 3 minutes, or until softened.
- 13Add beans, 2 cups broth, butter, and bay leaf and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally and adding enough remaining broth to keep beans moist and to reach a creamy consistency, about 30 minutes.
- 14Discard bay leaf and add half of gremolata and salt and pepper to taste.
- 15Transfer lamb shanks to a plate and keep warm, covered with foil.
- 16Strain braising liquid through a sieve into a saucepan, discarding solids, and stir in butter and tarragon.
- 17Boil sauce, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly.
- 18Strain sauce through sieve into a bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 19Sprinkle lamb shanks with remaining gremolata and serve with beans and sauce.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Lamb Shanks With White Beans
Serving Size: 1 (1150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1253.8
- Calories from Fat 525
- Total Fat 58.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 265.0 mg
- Sodium 1400.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 90.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs
fresh tarragon sprigs